Sunday, September 21, 2014

Swerve

9/7/2014- Today I have the opportunity to tackle a new skill set: longboarding. This is a recent outdoor trend that is sweeping, or rather swerving, across the nation. Although the sport is incredibly similar to skateboarding, longboarding's appeal lies in the extended length of the board itself. Because the board is longer, it is not typically used for trick riding but more for zipping down hills at top speed and getting from point A to point B. The longboard is also heavier than a skateboard, which allows the rider to get a smoother and speedier ride.
    I am being taught by a fairly new enthusiast, Erin Murray, who's expertise is questionable but who's passion is undeniable. She has recently purchased her own longboard and has been scooting around campus with an kamikaze gleam in her eye. We are traveling to the parking lot in the back of Hollenbeck Hall to begin my training. Along the way, Murray demonstrates the proper way to place one's feet while longboarding (closer to the top of the board, front foot planted towards the destination and back foot perpendicular to the board). The way to steer, she explains, is to wiggle your back foot to slant the board in the correct direction. This is different from a skateboard, where steering includes using gentle repositions with the rider's back foot and physically lifting the board up slightly using the back foot. In longboarding, one can still steer using this method but it is more difficult with the size of the board and it makes for a smoother ride to use body weight shifting the board in the desired direction.
   I am about to begin my first experience on the board that is long. My knees are quaking slightly with the fear of being scraped. My stomach feels like I have already gone up and down several hills. My teacher has a small devilish grin that is consistently accompanied with silent snickers. And here I roll.

   Update: Having longboarded for a total of 30 minutes, I have only wiped out severely 4 times and have just one small scrape, located on my behind. Things are really looking up for this adventure and I am excited to get some more practice under my belt so that I can roll with the best of them. I recommend this thrilling ride to all who are brave and not afraid to throw themselves in a ditch from time to time!

No comments:

Post a Comment