Monday, September 22, 2014

Response to Luke Black's "Is Rock Music Finally Dead?"

  In his blog dated September 16, 2014, Luke Black argues that rock music might as well be dead because society isn't giving these budding artists similar to the Beatles and Led Zeppelin "a chance." Black seems to direct blame for this issue towards mainstream music, illegal downloading, and the lack of interest in rock music from today's generation. I would like to argue against this mentality for several reasons.
   I am also a rock fan, although I enjoy most types of music (NOT country). I too listen to the greats, the Beatles, the Eagles, AC/DC, Queen, KISS, etc. However, the greats of the past ARE (sadly) in the past. While these artists are in their retirement years, it does not mean that they shall ever be forgotten or disrespected simply because the world is moving on. Instead, they are honored through pop culture references, vintage labels, "greatest hits" albums, reunion tours, etc.
    I think that some of Mr. Black's frustration is coming from wanting something new that sounds the same as the greats. Unfortunately, because of the flow of music and the continuous culture changes within the industry, one won't find an artist absolutely identical to these legends. I personally think that classic rock lovers should embrace the change, keeping an open heart and mind, and be the listeners that give the upcoming stars their "chance."
    As I stated before, I enjoy most genres of music and I am always exploring new music. So I have a few solutions to offer Mr. Black with his problem. One simple way to find new contemporary bands with the same feel as artists like the Beatles would be to create a Pandora radio account and listen to the Beatles' station. Pandora does this great thing where it likes to bring in some contemporary music and blend it in with the a playlist of the greats.
    Another way to explore would be to open up your iTunes account and check out what is new in the Rock genre of the music section. There are a lot of different present-day bands putting their music out on iTunes and some of the more "mainstream" music will be cut down in your choices for you. You can also visit the Genius section of iTunes to find further matches for your tastes. Additionally, there are places on iTunes that allow you to view other consumer's playlists that could expose a rock listener to more artists and albums like the classics.
     I would like to suggest a few artists for you, Mr. Black. If you haven't already, check out The Black Keys. Their sound is more of a blend between blues and rock but there are a good bit of guitar solos in there for you that may satisfy your fix. Neon Trees are also similar (if they aren't too mainstream for you, make sure you listen to their whole Habits album). Breathe Carolina is a harder sound, a lot like AC/DC. I would also check out The Fratellis; they are from Sweden I think but have a really good sound that you might enjoy.
      I'll leave you with one last argument here. When you look back and reflect on the artists mentioned in Black's blog, they were considered mainstream in their hay-day. The artists that are labeled today as "mainstream" are also changing/challenging music just as the Beatles did. The beauty of culture lies in its constant evolution. Embrace it and when it comes to the music of the past, let it be.

2 comments:

  1. Well said, Kiah! I have the same complaints that Lucas does, and I know some of it is that it's just difficult weeding through all the crap that's out there today to find the good stuff. Thanks for pushing me to get off my tail and listen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kiah, I really like this response. I forgot about the pandora aspects of music that do bring some oldies back to life. I do love today's rock music, where many of my friends and family sadly does not. I enjoy harder bands of today like Avenged Sevenfold, Bullet for my Valentine, Slipknot, Korn, Alter Bridge, Slash, and bands like that. I guess my purpose for the blog was that rock isn't as popular as it used to be. But I'm grateful that someone else shares the same love of rock music like I do!

    ReplyDelete